Monday, December 7, 2009

the job search

Something I have been doing ever since I arrived here is looking for work. It's an interesting position to be in. It's as if the world has opened itself wide open to me and I get to choose which direction to follow, with very few constraints. Of course there is the reality of needing to work as soon as possible but there is also the question of finding work that is satisfying and conducive to a good quality of life. In my search I have been balancing the location of the job (do we really want to move there? can Jean-Marc find work there?) with the relevance of the work to my training and experience. At first I felt as if I had no attachment to one region and I was ready to go anywhere, but the longer I stay here, the more choosy I become about where I would accept work.

I have to remain open-minded about my options, so that means that I might be working as an interior designer, a library assistant, a production assistant for a musical group, a singer, an English teacher for adults, a music librarian for an opera company or a stage manager for an orchestra.  If I were to stick to just one thing, I would be seriously limiting my options and I think that I would be waiting a long time to get a job. My goal is to be working by February, if not sooner, and I hope to find something that is everything I'm looking for. Here is to hoping!

No comments:

Post a Comment