Saturday, November 21, 2009

lemon oatmeal poppy seed scones

Yesterday I went to the Bio-Coop to pick up some things that are hard to find in regular French grocery stores: bran, bulk almonds, wheat germ and whole wheat bread. I saw some poppy seeds and couldn't resist buying them. I've never bought or cooked with them before but somehow I was drawn to get them and bake delicious things. Maybe I was craving something from back home. There is a bagel bakery in Vancouver, called Solly's Bagels, that makes the most delicious oatmeal poppy seed cookies, but after searching the internet I found no recipes that fit that description. I did, however, find this scone recipe. The original recipe seemed a little big, so I halved it and came out with 8 good-sized scones. All I can add is "yum!"


lemon oatmeal poppy seed scones
1 cup oat flour  (I just used oats and ground them with a hand mixer)
1 1/2 cups flour (I used half all-purpose, half whole wheat)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
grated lemon zest
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
1/3 cup buttermilk (I used regular milk with a little lemon juice)

directions
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).

In a large bowl, stir together the oat flour, flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, lemon zest and poppy seeds. Cut in butter until the lumps are smaller than peas. Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk. Stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened.

Pat dough into a 1 inch thick circle. Cut circle into 8 wedges like a pie. Place pieces onto a baking sheet, and brush the tops with melted butter and sprinkle with a little sugar.

Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven, until lightly browned. (I ended up baking mine for closer to 30 minutes because I like them a little more toasted.)


No comments:

Post a Comment