Saturday, November 21, 2009

my arrival in France

I arrived in France with my "visa de long séjour" just three weeks ago. My flight landed in Paris at around 9am and my husband Jean-Marc was there to pick me and my luggage up. Most of my stuff was already in France because I had sent it earlier in the year when I came to look for a job, but I still had two big suitcases full.

It was quite an exercise to go through my things - the stuff of life that I collected over the years - and decide what I wanted to keep and what I could part with. The truth is that in the past I was fairly attached to my things, but, through a series of big changes in my life, I learned to not identify with my material possessions and found that it is easy to let go. More stuff will come into my life and I know I will come across other amazing finds over time.

Now that I'm settled in, have unpacked my pots and pans and my few remaining possessions, I am feeling like I am home. I'm looking for work and slowly accumulating information that I need in order to be completely set up in France. The journey is exciting, sometimes frustrating, and always full of new experiences. The best part about it is that I'm sharing my life with an amazing person: Jean-Marc.

No comments:

Post a Comment