Saturday, February 6, 2010

underground recycling

A favourite thing that isn't edible? I wasn't sure it was possible, but I ended up finding one. I have seen these recycling containers in many cities and villages around France and I think they're a great idea and a perfect solution to city recycling, where the apartment buildings don't necessarily have the room to house their own recycling containers. Essentially, these are underground bins with an above ground chute that can hold a lot of recyclables. When it comes time to empty them, trucks lift the whole bin out of the ground, unload them and then put them back. I think it's great because it doesn't take up a lot of room, they're not too ugly to look at, and they're handy enough to encourage people to actually use them.

1 comment:

  1. now that's an improvement on those green plastic bins for glass! Bravo France!

    ReplyDelete